Wednesday, November 7, 2012

non-stop November: dying hair with kool-aid

Many of you are probably aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and everyone is usually decked out in all shades of pink. Pink is not really my favorite color, or one that I like for that matter, but I wanted to do something small to show my support. All summer I had been seeing people dip-dying their ends with Kool-Aid so I thought what the heck and decided to give it a try.

You would not believe how easy it is, and the more perfect things is that it washes out after a while- honestly, I didn't want permanent pink hair. So here are the step by step instructions for anyone interested in dying their hair with Kool-Aid.

First, I changed into clothes that I didn't mind getting dirty sectioned off the hair that I wanted dyed. I personally wanted a streak of pink and not dyed ends so I had to make sure the rest of my hair was out of the way. Then I boiled 2 cups of water and stirred in the mix. (I would suggest putting on latex gloves for the next step.) Once it had boiled for a minute I poured the liquid into a bowl and began dipping my hair into the hot mixture. I tried getting as close to my roots as I could without getting it on the other hair. Some people say to put it in foil and let it soak for a while, but I didn't have that much time so I just kept dipping my hair in the mixture and squeezing off the excess for about 10 minutes. Once I was satisfied with the color, I let it air dry, still sectioned off on its own.

That's about all you have to do! I think the color stays better on lighter hair that is a bit damaged, which is how my hair reacted to it. Also, I tried to go about 48 hours before I washed my hair which is exactly what I would also do if I had just gotten my hair dyed. For me, the color lasted brightly for about 2-3 weeks and started fading out a lot after that. It's been about 4-5 weeks or so and you can barely see the color at all.

I thought this was just such a cute idea, not only for October but for anytime that you need a little bit of change to your hair! Have you tried dying your hair this way? What crazy colors has your been? Let me know in the comment section below!

Stay happy and healthy! :)

Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment