Tuesday, September 18, 2012

favorite nude lipsticks

Besides nude lipsticks being all the rage these last few years, personally they look very flattering on me, compared to other colors. Now I am not talking about "same color as your skin" kind of nude, but ones that are actually wearable day to day. I swatched a few of my favorite nude lipsticks for ya'll to let you know what they look like. If you want swatches on my lips, leave me a comment for which color! Also, most of them are drugstore, so you won't have to spend a lot of money to find the perfect nude lipstick for you!


from left to right: MAC Politely Pink, NYX Black Label Nude, Maybelline ColorSensational Nude Nuances, ELF Essential Nostalgic, L'Oreal ColourRiche Caresse Merino Mauve, Revlon Lip Butter Creme Brulee, Revlon Balm Stain Precious, Wet 'n Wild Matte Bare it All
with flash

As you can see, most of these lipsticks are pink based, with the exception of a few. For my skin tone (pretty fair, medium with a tan) these look the best. Brown or orange based nudes- especially orange- make it look like it was supposed to be coral but went wrong. They just end up looking muddy or orange. So without further ado, here are the colors!


MAC Lipstick Politely Pink (Lustre): I think this lipstick is absolutely beautiful! It is the perfect pink based nude with blue undertones and applies amazingly. Also, the familiar MAC scent is heavenly and just leaves my lips feeling and smelling great! The only think that I would change about this is the finish. I should have noticed that when I bought it but I can't seem to like the lustre on its own. I love this lipstick layered on top of others because it takes away the shine. It isn't "sparkly" just shiny- think metal. Once it's layered though, it just adds the perfect amount of poutiness in the right places. At $15 this isn't the cheapest of the bunch, but worth a try if you are looking for a splurge.

NYX Black Label Lipstick Nude: I just recently purchased this lipstick and I have to admit, I am in love! This is the most "wash-out-my-lips" type of nude I have and I find it to be perfect! It is also a pink based nude with a hint of brown. I think it looks great on its own or with a gloss. It can even be layered with other lipsticks to make them lighter or change their color. I bought this for around $8 on beautyjoint.com and wouldn't spend a cent less!

Maybelline ColorSensational Lipstick Nude Nuances: I believe this is a limited edition lipstick and still available. I tried getting a back up for this because I love, love, love it! It is a nude, but just a slight bit more pink than the NYX lipstick. It applies so smooth and effortlessly! If you find one at your drugstore, grab it because I can almost guarantee it will look great on you, and at about $8 it's a steal!

ELF Essential Lipstick Nostalgic: Although this is no longer available on the ELF website, you can find this online. I already talked about this lipstick in other posts and will link those below.

L'Oreal ColourRiche Caresse Lipstick Merino Mauve: This is such a nice pink nude. It is more on the pink than nude color but since it comes out pretty sheer, I would section it as a nude. I find this to be like the Revlon Lip Butters but more moisturizing, less opaque, creamier and leave more of a shine. It wears off pretty quickly, but can be applied easily since it is so sheer. At $10 this is at the high end of the drugstore, but definitely worth the price.

Revlon Lip Butter Creme Brulee: These were all the rage when they came out last fall and I didn't get this color first, but once I did there was no going back. This has such a moisturizing feeling and is so creamy on the lips. It has slight gold specks of glitter and has a slight orange/brown undertone- this is as orange as it gets for me. I love the color and I love the feeling. Period. This lipstick costs $8 and can be found at any drugstore.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain Precious: Even though this is a stain, it doesn't last all too long on yours lips (most likely because it is a light color). But aside from that, I love the color. It has a bit of sparkle but not as much as a lustre- it doesn't look metallic or chrome. It is a brown-based nude with the slightest hint of pink. It is very moisturizing and leaves a slight gloss on your lips. It has a bit of a minty smell, but only when you first apply. At about $9 this is worth a try, if not the nude then another color from this line!

Wet 'n Wild Matte Lipstick Bare it All: This is a much darker nude that is great for all skin tones but would look especially beautiful on medium to dark skin tones. On a fair person, this would almost look like a brown. It is completely matte and is probably best if you exfoliate before putting it one. I have heard that it can be drying, but I haven't experienced it myself. I think this would look stunning alone or with a nice shimmery gloss, or even just a bit in the center of your lip. You can find this for about $2 at Walgreens, Ulta or Harmon's/Face Value. Definitely worth a try!

So those are all the nude lipsticks I like! Let me know if you'd like to have a blog about my other favorite nude lip products, gloss, chapstick, etc. (can you tell I'm obsessed with nude?). Have you tried any of these lipsticks? What is your favorite nude one? Leave me a comment!


As always, stay happy and healthy :)

Tschüss, Katharina



other posts mentioned:

1 comment: