Tuesday, November 19, 2013

non-stop November: drugstore discovery: Revlon Colorburst Balms

I don't know if you have looked around your local drugstore lately, but there are a bunch of new products out! Some that I REALLY wanted to try included the Revlon Colorburst Balms, and after much searching, I was able to get my hands on a couple!


In an effort to keep my makeup collection at a reasonable amount...well, reasonable to me, haha...I only picked up two shades. They have come out with two formulas, a shiny one that they describe as a lacquer and a matte version. I have the shades Demure 105 and Standout 250, respectively.

So let me talk about the first shade, Demure- this is the lacquer formula. (Sorry for switching the lip swatches, but I think it is pretty obvious which swatch is which :P.) This is a very neutral light pink with golden shimmer particles, that are noticeable close up but not from a distance. It also has somewhat of a "glossy" finish. This glides on the lips really easily and if you are an experienced lipstick applicator you will probably be able to apply a shade like this without a mirror. It does feel a tad bit gritty after application, due to the shimmer.

As for staying power, this didn't do that amazingly (not that it claims to). The shine went away after about an hour of normal daily activities. There was some color left but that went away completely at approximately the 2 hour mark. Like I mentioned above though, this can be applied without a mirror since it is a lighter shade.

The other shade I got is Standout, and this is part of the matte collection. This is a deep berry red, a little deeper than the swatches show- perfect for the holiday season! This goes on so smoothly and although the tip is kind of large, I do find that I have a lot of control, even applying such a dark color. This is very pigmented and like the name implies, matte. Because of that is does feel a little bit drying after application, but nothing you couldn't expect from any other matte lip product.

Compared to the lacque balm, this has a much longer staying power. After application you can blot the lips or go about your day-to-day activities with only a little bit of residue rubbing off. When it wears, it does so from the inside of your lips first and leaves a stain on the outside of the lips. I assume that this is only because it is one of the darker shades in the matte collection.

Both of these have a minty smell like the other Revlon balm products. When compared to the L'Oreal Colour Riche Le Matte and La Laque lines, I would say the matte ones are similar though the Revlon has a bit of a thinner consistency. The lacquer balms though are not really comparable- the L'Oreal has a much longer staying power and keeps its shine the whole time, while the Revlon has a thinner consistency and doesn't stay on for as long.

I think these are definitely worth trying, even if you only pick up one color! I kind of prefer the matte ones, but I'm excited to see if they will come out with new colors (word is that this is going to be part of their permanent collection)! Let me know if you have tried these and what shades you enjoy!

Always stay happy and healthy! :) Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment