Sunday, September 16, 2012

ways to apply mascara

After talking about these different mascaras, I realized that I never actually dedicated a blog post to putting on mascara. Although this may sound like a pretty self-explanatory thing at first, I have heard many techniques mentioned through my friends, YouTube and myself experimenting. Here are what I have come up with:

standard method
This is probably the most common used method to make up newbies, or people who enjoy minimal mascara/a natural look. I would say this method deposits the least amount of mascara and general coats only the lashes located in the center of the lid. In this method, you are placing the wand at the base or roots of your lashes and pulling the wand up to reach your tips.

wiggle/vibrate method
This is probably the method I hear most mentioned. Mascaras that vibrate have also been developed to replicate this technique (one by L'Oreal and one by Lancome). In this method, you  are applying mascara from the root to the end of the lash, and simultaneously wiggling the brush left and right. It sounds a lot harder than it is, and I guarantee that many of you already do this naturally. This method tends to separate the lashes a bit more than just pulling the wand up from the roots. I would also say that a bit more product is dispensed because you are spending more time on each lash.

blink method
This method is exactly what it's name states. In this method you are blinking, or closing your eyes, onto the mascara wand. I do not personally use this method because it sounds too messy for me. People who do use this though, say that it makes their lashes curled, without the use of a eyelash curler. It also seems that this method allows you to get closer to the roots because you don't see the wand coming to your eye, which may frighten you.

eye pull method
I have only seen this method used by one person and I can't quite explain what she sees as benefits. Basically, she pulls the outside corner of her eye towards her temple and applies the mascara to her lashes. I assume this may have something to do with not seeing the mascara wand also (she is terrified of them). I can only assume that this also allows you to get close to the roots, however, I can't say for sure. (if you use this method, leave a comment as to why. I am curious to know how it works for you!)

top and bottom method
This is a play off of any method, but in this one, you are coating both "sides" of your lashes. I think this is probably best for people with blonde or very light lashes because it doesn't allow your natural lash to show at all. I personally have dark blonde eyelashes and don't feel the need to do this. I think it just makes a mess, but that's my opinion.

Those are all the methods that I have heard of or seen. Which method do you use, or do you use one that I haven't mentioned here? How did you come up with it? Leave a comment!


Always stay happy and healthy :)

Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment