Saturday, March 23, 2013

unusual uses for brushes

Just because brushes have "names" doesn't mean you have to use them specifically for that. I have been experimenting lately with how I can use my brushes in a way that may not be expected.

One of my favorite ways to apply foundation lately has been with the Real Techniques Contour Brush that comes with the Core Collection. It is a lot smaller than a usual foundation brush but I love the finish that it gives. I also really enjoy how it applies foundation to the face in general. Lately, I have really been into the natural looking foundation where my spots and blemishes are not completely covered and my skin looks like skin- with bunches of highlighting and contouring going on- and this brush gives me that! Using this brush, I can achieve the coverage I want by adding more layers to the areas that need a bit more.

Another brush that I have been enjoying is the SOHO Concealer Brush, except I haven't been using it for concealer, instead for lipstick. Even though it is quite large for a lip brush, I like the control I have because of the tapered bristles. When I have on a lip liner and then apply my lipstick using this brush it gives a perfect look.

I think this brush could also be used to apply a loose eyeshadow since it is so dense. I have used it to highlight the brow bone and inner corner and it packed the shadow on nicely.

This might be well known to many, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Blending brushes for eyes can do the same for concealer! They give an airbrushed finish to the area and blend out the products nicely- just as they would on the eyes. Some of my favorites include the e.l.f. Mineral Blending Eye Brush, Coastal Scents Pro Blending Fluff and Classic Blender Natural. (Coastal Scents may just be the hidden gem for great brushes!)

This isn't necessarily a brush, but your old and dried up felt-tip liners can be used to apply gel liner! If you have the hang down with the felt-tip but hate it drying out, this trick is for you. This works perfect for me because I can create as straight of a line as I would if I were using the "ink" in the felt-tip.


Lastly, is the e.l.f. Studio Complexion Brush. Although I think it is amazing for applying all-over face powders, I can't rave enough about the way it applies contours. I know, I know...it's a big brush, BUT if you maneuver it the way you want, you can get a great faded out contour! I really cannot say enough about how awesome it looks- oh and that includes applying blush as well!

I hope this inspired you to think about different ways that your brushes can be used. Just because it has a specific name doesn't mean you have to stick to it...you never know, you might find your new perfect way to applying foundation, lipstick, concealer, etc!

Stay happy and healthy! :)

Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment