Friday, March 8, 2013

back to basics: smokey eyes

Sometimes I assume that everyone who reads this blog knows as much about makeup as I do. The truth is though, that most people probably are reading blogs and watching YouTube videos to learn things they may not know...so I wanted to start this "back to basics" series. In between my normal postings I will include some that go back to the fundamentals of makeup!

The first thing I want to talk about is eyeshadow placement- specifically, the smokey eye. I created this diagram to show you basically where different colors should/could be placed.

Where you start your eye look is your preference, but many people like to start with the crease. This is the "socket" of your eye (if you lean back and look down at a mirror you will be able to see this bone). Placing a medium toned color- generally a brown- in and above the crease will create a guide line of how high your shadow should go. (The crease is displayed as the color all the way on the left.)

Next, is typically the lid. This is either visible or not visible to you when you open your eye. This is where the "main" color is placed. How many shadows you want to use on your lid is your preference. You can use a gradient effect by going from light to dark- starting at the inner corner of the eye (near the bridge of your nose) to the outer corner. This style is displayed in the picture. However, you can also use only 2 or one shadow across the lid, it's all up to you!

Lastly, is the crease color. This is generally the darkest of all the colors and creates the shape of your eye. Displayed is a cat eye shape, but you can do whatever your look calls for. This color goes in the depth of your crease and gets blurred or blended out so it doesn't look as harsh.

I hope this helped if you were confused as to what specific terms meant what. I also hope this helps you understand how I do my eye looks better! Let me know what other things you want to see in "back to basics" in the comments below!

Always stay happy and healthy! :)

Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment