Wednesday, October 23, 2013

the 5: don't leave the drugstore without these 5

So I wanted to officially start this series, since I have noticed it to be a common theme among many of my posts. I like to work in sets of five because I have OCD and also because it allows me to write a post that is not too long and not too short. So I kept the series title sweet and simple- the 5. Today I want to let you know about five products that you should not leave the drugstore without.


A matte drugstore bronzer is quite difficult to find. Then I also often run in to the problem of them looking too orange. But have no fear, go pick up the NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny. This is a medium colored bronzer that can be applied quite sheer, which means it is great for those who have a lighter skin tone. However, this bronzer can be deepened with multiple applications- which is what I did during the summer when I had some color. This is natural enough to wear day to day. At about $3 this is a steal and trust me, you won't have to repurchase it for a while!

My next favorite product is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer in Brightener. I have bought this twice already and I keep going back for more! It comes with a sponge, which I removed, and has a medium consistency. It very pink-toned and looks beautiful to highlight with- which is the main reason why I bought this. I use this mainly when I have no tan because I am pretty fair. I did use this a few times when I was a bit darker but only for a dramatic look, since it was very light for me. I think for deeper skin tones, this could work if mixed with a concealer closer to your shade. This is usually somewhere around $9, but look for sales!

The third product is one that I recently discovered. This L'Oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder Bare Skin Perfecting Makeup is a very thin and liquid foundation that turns to powder after it has been applied. My current shade is 320 Natural Beige, however I do think the shades allow some room for when you are a bit more tan or pale. It gives a light to medium coverage and can be built up, however with more layers, it does start to look a bit cakey. I like to apply by dotting the foundation onto my face using my fingers and then blending it with a buffing brush. As for wear, I do find that some oil shines through at the 4-hour mark, but I usually just apply powder or blot. Although this is a bit pricier than other drugstore foundations (about $13), this is totally worth it.

Another drugstore quest is finding the perfect pink nude lipstick. I have tried many- some were to shimmery, others weren't pigmented and some just weren't the right shade...BUT I think I have finally found mine. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Primrose 668 is that color for me. Many have said this is a dupe for several MAC lipsticks, but that doesn't matter to me. I would say it is a neutral pink, since it isn't clearly blue toned but doesn't have too much warmth to it either. This is a creme formula so it feels very comfortable on the lips and doesn't dry them out. There is no shimmer in this shade, it is matte. I wouldn't say it is super long wearing, but it can be applied very easily throughout the day. At about $5 this is a steal!

My final, and probably most used, product of the drugstore is one that has been around for a long time. The CoverGirl Eye Enhancers 3-Kit Shadow in Shimmering Sands is absolutely gorgeous. These shades are the epitome of summer to me! They are fairly pigmented and all have a metallic, shimmery finish. My favorite shade is the lightest one. It is the perfect highlight for the inner corner and under the brow. This is my second palette and I want to keep purchasing more to keep in stock. I DO NOT want to run out of this shadow EVER! I find mine for around $5 and I couldn't be more impressed.

Those are all my favorite products from the drugstore. Obviously, there are other products I enjoy as well, but these never seem to get traded out for another product (or I just haven't tried anything better). Let me know your favorites or if you use any of mine!

Always stay happy and healthy! :) Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment