Friday, December 27, 2013

the 5: a quick smokey eye

One thing I love doing is challenging myself, especially in the realm of makeup. I have gone from never wearing eyeshadow to switching up my eye look every day, and it's so fun! Something I really wanted to tackle is how to create a smokey eye including eyebrows using only five products...and I have triumphed and lived to talk about it! So without further ado, let me get started on what you need for this look!


First, I would suggest some kind primer and in this case I chose the Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze (swatched top, left). This product, specifically, will not only keep your shadows from creasing but also provide you with a bit of color on the lid. The next product, which also happens to be the star of this tutorial, is the Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quad in Natural Smokes (swatched in the order they will be used). This is a great, very universal quad with two shimmery and two matte shades that is practically necessary in anyone's makeup collection. You will also need a blending brush, and mine happens to be the Coastal Scents Classic Blender Natural- so very affordable! You will also need a brow pencil or powder to fill in your brows and the one I use is the Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil in Medium Brown. And finally, you will need a mascara, of course! I use the L'Oreal Double Extend Carbon Black Mascara because it includes both the primer and black mascara to give you beautiful, thick lashes. Okay, so now that we have gone through what we need, let's get on with the pictorial!

Start off with a clean eye and apply the Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze all over the lid and also the lower lash line. You do not want to take this past your crease. Then use the taupe shade (top left) from the Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quad in Natural Smokes and apply that all over the lid using the applicator provided in the palette.

Using that same applicator, take the bronze shade (below the taupe shade) from the quad and pat that into the outer corner taking it a bit into the crease and also on the lower lash line. Now it's time to blend, so using the Coastal Scents Classic Blender Natural I blended the crease out and also the lower lash line a bit. Now use your fingers to get a concentrated application of the cream shade from the quad and place that in the inner corner and under the brow bone.

Again using the tip of the applicator provided in the quad, take the deep matte brown and apply it as a liner. Obviously you can use a liquid or gel liner if you prefer, but I think lining the lash line with shadow makes it more wearable during the day. I then filled in my brows using the Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil in Medium Brown and finished off the look by applying the L'Oreal Double Extend Carbon Black Mascara.

This look is affordable and with some practice can become quite easy and not very time consuming! It's also very versatile, as it can be worn during the day or deepened a little for a night out! I hope you enjoyed this look and I wish you success in recreating it.

Also, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and got everything you wished for! And if you don't celebrate, well then I hope you had a great day :D

Always stay happy and healthy! :) Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment