Friday, February 7, 2014

makeup intevention

Let's face it...buying makeup can be an obsession. Sometimes I just feel the drive to go to Sephora, Ulta, Walgreens, CVS, etc. to "look" at new products- I generally don't have an intention of buying anything, but we both know I don't leave empty handed. Even though I have plenty of eyeshadows, foundations, brow products, blushes, bronzers and on and on, I still feel the need to get something. Sometimes it is the rush of getting a new item and other times, the fear of missing out...but when I put things in perspective, that lipstick collection that I missed out on isn't going to be the end of my life!

So in hopes of finishing some of the products I already have in my collection and creating new spending habits, I decided to have a makeup intervention with myself. This was mainly inspired by Christine, from pinksofoxy. (If you want to know more about her spending restrictions for the year of 2013, watch this video.) Christine ended up doing this for a whole year, but I think my story is a bit different. I do have a larger makeup collection than the average female, but when compared to some of the beauty bloggers on YouTube, my collection looks minimal. My goal is to really get use out of and enjoy the products I already have, and not running out to get the newest thing.

So let me tell you what the rules of my intervention are. I am placing a spending restriction on myself for 6 months- February 1, 2014 to August 1, 2014. During those 6 months, I will only be allowed to purchase 5 makeup/beauty related products. This will not include any of my normal skin care products (I do not find myself over-indulging in this area). My Glam bag will not count towards these 5 products, since that is a monthly subscription service. Also, not to mention that my birthday is in July, so I will be having many temptations to spoil myself...but I will try my best!

I wanted to post it onto my blog to keep me more accountable, and also to encourage any of you other makeup indulgers to take a look at the makeup you already have in your collection and rediscover some lost favorites.

Let me know if you have any money saving resolutions for this year and if you have any plans on reducing your makeup collection!

Always stay happy and healthy! :) Tschüss, Katharina

2 comments:

  1. I decided to make myself stick to a monthy beauty budget based on my income from the month before. I'm trying to save, but I also want to keep trying new products. This helps me really research and consider new products I want to try before I run out and go on a crazy shopping spree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see these 6 months as a "cleanse". I will probably also try to stick to a budget (as best as I can LOL) come August. Thanks for your advice Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete