Wednesday, July 18, 2012

bun with upside down braid

Although Germany has not had a comparable heat wave to the US, it does get unbearably humid on certain days here. On some days, wearing my hair down is just not worth it and totally out of question. I've been wearing my hair up a lot (okay, I admit, not only because of the weather but also to minimize hair wash days) but get bored of the plain old ponytail or bun sometimes. I needed something to spruce up my updo! 


Braids have been hot this year in general and I have seen lots of posts about doing a braid from the nape of your neck up to where your ponytail starts...so I decided to give it a shot. This was the first time I ever tried it and I was sort of in a rush, so it came out pretty loose. But, I like the messy look and wasn't too concerned about everything looking perfect. Plus I think messy braids look really cool with highlighted hair!


Basically, in order to get this look you need to do a normal french braid but instead you are starting from the nape of your neck. As you move up your head, just grab more hair- a normal french braid. In order to make the ponytail/bun, I just grabbed a bobby pin to hold the braid in place, made my bun and then took the bobby pin out. I also loosened the bun a bit, which ended up loosening up the braid. You definitely need to practice a bit in order to get the braid tight- or have someone else do it.


I think this adds a cool flair to the boring bun or ponytail and helps keep those baby/broken hairs off of your neck. It's a perfect look for hot days, going to the gym or just a day when you don't feel like styling your hair!


Let me know of other ideas, y'all have for sprucing up a boring ponytail. Stay happy and healthy :)


Tschüss, Katharina

No comments:

Post a Comment